Let’s do this: Ultimate Health and Wellness and How to Begin
It is never too late to start making changes in your lifestyle to attain health and wellness. But why would anyone stop eating delicious junk food and give up their rest routine? The answer is simple- for health and wellbeing. A healthy and oriented lifestyle is built by making small gradual changes in your daily routine. Healthy habits, when incorporated into daily routine, improve the overall wellbeing of an individual.
According to the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, one needs to engage in moderate aerobic activity daily for a minimum of 30 minutes. In addition to this, one needs to start strength training for different body parts twice a week for health and wellness.
Engaging in different types of physical activities elevates mood and fights off depression and is also great for an individual’s overall health. All you need to do is start making minor changes in your daily routine, such as replacing the nearest grocery store by car with brisk walking and bicycle riding. More vigorous activities such as swimming, rock climbing and have even greater health and wellbeing benefits.
Keys to Success:
- Start with an activity that you love doing.
- If you cannot motivate yourself or push yourself, ask for help from friends and family and work out with them.
- You need to keep reminding yourself that a little counts. If you cannot start with 30 minutes of activity daily, start with 5 or 10 minutes and gradually increase your time.
- Include different physical activities in your daily exercise schedule.
If you have started to adopt a physically active lifestyle, you also need to start healthy and balanced eating for health and wellness. Start incorporating fresh fruits, vegetables, unrefined grains, low-fat dairy, and lean proteins into your diet. Cut off ready-made foods and junk foods as they are more harmful than good to your body. Healthy eating helps people better weight maintenance and lower their chances of developing crippling health conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, atherosclerosis, etc.
Keys to Success:
- Start with small yet beneficial changes to your diet each week.
- Keep on experimenting by shifting from one healthy food to another as don’t get bored with eating the same food every day.
- Do remember that starting healthy eating today will save you from major illnesses in the future.
Our emotional state can affect our level of physical activity, food choices, and ability to maintain positive social engagement. For instance, you are more likely to go for junk food and ice cream when you feel low. In addition to this, whenever you feel unhappy or depressed, it gets more difficult to exercise or engage in your scheduled physical activity. So it is important that to make minor changes to your activity level and dietary habit. This can be achieved by doing yoga, meditation, pilates, and tai chi.
Keys to Success:
- Choose an activity that suits your temperament and lifestyle.
- Be consistent in your practice.
Always remember that consistency is the key to achieving ultimate health and wellness. If you are unable to see the results immediately, do not panic and do not give up.